The Punto Poetry Project: Call for Submissions
At long last, here is the call for submissions for the Punto Poetry Project™. Please forward this info to all your gente and to your list serves. Feel free to join our Punto Poetry community too. http://puntopoetry.ning.com
If you have any questions, please see our website at http://puntopoetry.ning.com
Poet Laureate of Narnia
------------ --------- ---------
Someta: Call for Submissions
PUNTO! Exclamations from Generations of Latina/o Poets
the spoken word artist, the poeta, the crazy performance poet, the storyteller of metaphors, the subtle experimental poet, all of yous, from the casa to the raza cosmica and everywhere in between the transglobal barrio, yes tú, are invited to submit your original poems, slam poems, performance poems, spoken word pieces to ¡PUNTO!: Exclamations from Generations of Latina/o Poets, edited by critically acclaimed, award winning poets, Jaime “Shaggy” Flores & Robert Farid Karimi.
We seek original work by Latina/o, Chicana/o, Nuyorican writers, performance poets, and spoken word performers for a new intergenerational anthology of Latina& Latino spoken word, performance poetry.
¡PUNTO! aims to give space and voice to Latina/o writers who have helped birth the current evolution of poetry by weaving language, culture, & experiences into a tapestry of performance & poetry on the page. ¡PUNTO! poets display the multifaceted variety of a community that is on the forefront of literature and performance. ¡PUNTO! is an intergenerational book that will reflect the historic & expansive contribution of Latina/os to the art of performance & written poetry across the nation.
Questions about this project can be emailed to: someta@puntopoetry. com. Please indicate “anthology” or “preguntas” or “vulcan mind meld” in the subject line to avoid deletion of your email.
Must be postmarked no later than November 2, 2008
Please make sure to remember your ancestors on this day.
We are unable to address all inquiries as to your personal status in the project given the large number of submissions under consideration for this anthology.
Please send submissions BOTH by email and by USPS:
Please include “¡Punto!” in subject line.
c/o Robert Karimi & Shaggy Flores
p.o box 6151
minneapolis, mn 55406
Please, no battles about what is Latina/o spoken word or what is Latina/o identity; we are here to celebrate those who utilize the oral tradition across transglobal barrios. If confused, just send it.
Please submit up to 4 works. Manuscripts should total no more than 10 pages, 12 pt Times New Roman font.
- All work must be original, written in English, Spanglish or Spanish with provided English translation. (If you use any other languages, even Vulcan, provide a translation)
- Work must be previously unpublished. Simultaneous submissions are okay, but please notify us if your work is accepted elsewhere, as we are not able to accept previously published work.
- Other poets’ translations of non-original work will not be accepted for this anthology.
- Written work may include poetry, spoken word, performance poetry, and selections from performance pieces. Please do not send monologues. If sending a work from a larger performance, please omit stage directions and sound and lighting cues.
- Include a clean cover page with your name and contact information as well as the titles of each work.
- Please include your name, address, phone number, and a working email address on every poem submitted.
- All work must be typed and legible on paper or else it gets vaporized.
- Margins should be set at 1” all around single spaced, on one side only of 8.5 x 11 white paper.
- Submitted copies of your work become property of the Punto Poetry project and will not be returned to you. Yes, you keep the copyright of the work, but when you submit, you are allowing us to consider it for publication.
- The editors of the anthology, the publishers, nor assistants or anyone (all lifeforms) involved in this project are not responsible for any lost manuscripts. Please do not send us the original copy of your work.
- Include a biography of no more than 70 words on a separate page. Include a short statement of how your work reflects the Latino experience. Include your favorite Latino Cuisine/Food/ Dish in the bio as well.
- Submissions must be postmarked no later than November 2, 2008 (Early submissions increase but do not guarantee your chances of acceptance). Please make sure to remember your ancestors on this day.
- Please submit both mailed and electronic versions of the poems. Electron/Email versions you must send as MS Word attachments only. Both MAC and PC platforms are acceptable. Hard copy mailed versions should be submitted to the address above.
If you wish to be notified of receipt of your submission by mail, include a stamped, self-addressed postcard (U.S. Postage only).